Features & Amenities
- A building for meetings with a restroom and water fountain
- Two picnic tables and a grill
- Two log cabins with furnishings which are used to teach school children about the early days of Anchorage
- 20 parking spaces
The school house was built in 1915 using $5,000 of raised donations. It was originally built on Block 52 which was set aside by President Wilson. When a larger building was needed, the Pioneers of Alaska purchased the building and moved it to 6th and F street to save it from demolition. In 1965 the Anchorage Women’s Club proposed the building be moved to 3rd and Eagle, it’s title taken up by the city, and renovated to meet standards for a public building. The park was named the Ben Crawford Memorial Park for all the donations made by one of the club’s members. The building is now a historic site managed by the Anchorage Women’s Club and is used for meetings of various groups.
In 2010 a Challenge Grant was awarded to the Anchorage Women’s Club and Boy Scout Troop 214 to install an informational kiosk as part of an Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project.