Features & Amenities
- Picnic tables
- Basketball court
- Play equipment
- Two gorilla sculptures
- On-street parking
- Located in Chester Creek Greenbelt
- 2006 Anchorage Park Foundation Challenge Grant recipient
This park was named for Charles Smith, an early pioneer in Alaska. He came to Seward in 1919 and traveled on the first train from Seward to Anchorage. He homesteaded on Fireweed
Lane in 1925 or 1926. He thought there should be a park for children in his area. His widow donated 70 acres, 15 of which are named in his honor.
The area named for him is located at the intersection of C Street and the Chester Creek Trail. The Anchorage Board of Realtors helped develop the park by planting trees and shrubs. The park was divided when A street was extended for easier access to Mulcahy & the Sullivan arena. This left the 15 acre parcel separate from the other 55 acres.