Features & Amenities
- Two soccer fields
- Six softball fields
- Eight tennis courts
- Two sand volleyball courts
- Five horseshoe pits
- Ice hockey rink and ice skating area
- Winter running route around the park
- Fitness center at Pete’s Gym
- Memorial to Pope John Paul II, who visited the Park Strip in 1981
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
- Victims for Justice Tree
- Purple Heart Memorial
- Aviation Memorial
- E.G. Fenn Memorial
- POW/MIA Tree
- Organ and Tissue Donor Memorial
- C.A. Berg Tree
- R.O. Robertson Tree
- Veterans’ Memorial
- Centennial Rose Garden
- Parking spaces available along 10th Avenue on the park side
Known to the Anchorage community as the Park Strip, Delaney Park is the oldest park in the city. It was established as part of the original Anchorage township plat in 1917, and named for Major Delaney, one of the first mayors of Anchorage.
The park was originially used simply as a firebreak, but in 1922, it became “The Golf Course”. The community used the space both for a golf course and an airstrip. In 1929, however, Merrill Field opened so the Delaney Park airstrip was no longer necessary.
In 1954, the Parks & Recreation Department began to develop recreation facilities for a variety of activities and events, including ice skating, softball, horseshoes and later, tennis courts. In 1958, the Park Strip hosted the Alaska Statehood Celebration.
Presently, this 13 block long park is used for a variety of community events, sports and festivals year-round.