We have been working hard, and this summer we are excited to make 32 park improvements including 6 new playgrounds! The community is invited to come volunteer, support, and celebrate with us.
Click on the icons in the map to see what we’ll be up to around Anchorage:
View APF 2013 Projects in a larger map
If you are interested in doing a site visit for a specific project, contact APF Communication & Development Director Shannon Kuhn here.
1) Mulchahy Rink Improvements with the Scotty Gomez Foundation
2) Davis Park Ballfields Revitalization with Polar Little League
3) Russian Jack Springs Park Playground with the Anchorage School District
4) Minnesota Park Improvements with Minnesota Park Committee
5) Abe’s Trail Clearing in Girdwood
The Girdwood Trails Committee will clear the Abe’s Trail extension of the Beaver Pond Trail of heavy tree parts early in summer 2013 to make way for Youth Employment in Parks crew work.
6) Girdwood Town Square Park Mosaic
The Girdwood Art Institute plans to create and install mosaics in the new Girdwood Town Square Park. Community volunteers will participate year-round in all phases of the project.
7) Mutt Mitt Station Installation in Bancroft Park
The Anchorage Waterways Council and the Campbell Park Community Council will install two Mutt-Mitt stations along Campbell Trail by Shelikof street and near Waldron Lake.
Best Beginnings plans to construct a series of signs, each featuring the pages of a children’s book, to be placed at intervals along a trail. The set of signs will be available to check out for use at different park and trail events.
9) Arctic Benson Enclosed Dog Park & Volunteer Fix-It Day
10) Kiwanis Fish Creek Park Tennis Court
11) Campbell Park Playground & Volunteer Fix-It Day
12) Elderberry Park Volunteer Fix-It Day
13) Sitka Park “Skate Spot”
14) Fairbanks Park Playground
15) Fairview Lions Park Playground
16) Scenic Park Playground & Volunteer Fix-It Day
17) Little Dipper Park
18) Wolverine Park lighting
Youth Employment in Parks
19) Valley of the Moon Park (Streambank Restoration)
20) Coastal Trail (Vegetation Maintenance)
21) Beaver Pond Trail, Girdwood (Trail Maintenance)
22) Far North Bicentennial Park (Trail Maintenance)
23) William B. Lyons Park (Landscaping)
24) Campbell Creek Estuary
25) Coastal Trail Revitalization
26) Parks for All Playground
27) Veterans Memorial Revitalization at the Delaney Park Strip
28) Abbott O’Rabbit Ballfields at Ruth Arcand Park
29) Connors Bog Park Fence
30) Elodea Survey with USFWS
31) 3rd Annual Weed Smackdown, Saturday June 8th, 10am-1pm at Tikishla Park (east on 20th Ave from Lake Otis) in the Airport Heights neighborhood.
32) Weed Wrench pulling of invasive European Bird Cherry Trees – Chester Creek Greenbelt, Chester Valley Park, Valley Street Park, University Lake Park, Far North Bicentennial Park (various dates June – September)
33) Native Spruce and Birch Tree Seedling Potting
34) Native Spruce and Birch Tree Seedling Planting in natural forested ares of Anchorage parklands along Chester and Campbell Creeks (dates TBA August-September)