Youth Employment in Parks (YEP) aims to positively engage a new generation of diverse young leaders as conservation stewards of public lands and of the Anchorage community through meaningful job training, employment and education. YEP was accredited in 2014 by the Corps Network! Read the 2016 YEP Annual Report here.
YEP is a 10 week summer program that hires Anchorage teens to complete park improvement projects. Teens learn natural resource management job skills by building trails and restoring stream banks while engaging in education increasing civic engagement, environmental awareness, and leadership skills.
- YEP creates meaningful first job experiences and career pathways for youth to work in natural resources job fields
- YEP inspires youth to embrace nature while encouraging healthy lifestyles
- YEP prepares youth to become effective, contributing citizens and employees through character development and community action skills training
- YEP contributes to the community by improving parks and recreation spaces
Who are YEP crew members?
YEP crew members represent all neighborhoods and communities in Anchorage. To become a YEP crew member you must meet the following qualifications:
• a resident of the Municipality of Anchorage
• 16-19 years old on June 5th, 2017
• pursuing your high school or GED education
All of the 2017 YEP positions are currently filled. Check back next winter for the 2018 job postings!
YEP crew members develop job skills by working on Anchorage municipal park improvement projects. Projects may include soft surface trail construction and rehabilitation, stream bank and habitat restoration, park beautification, and landscaping.
2017 Summer Schedule:
June 8: Opening Dinner at Kincaid Chalet, 5:30-7:30pm
June 15: Kincaid Beach Trail Volunteer Day
June 19-30: Campbell Creek Restoration
July 3-7: Valley of the Moon Park
July 10-14: Lions Park in Girdwood
July 18-22: Jewel Lake Park Rain Garden
July 22: Volunteer Day at Teddy Bear Picnic
July 24- August 4: Davis Park Disc Golf Course
August 7-10: Mentorship Week
August 10: Graduation Dinner at Kincaid Chalet, 5:30-7:30pm
For more about past projects and activities: