Need chaperones for a walking field trip to a nearby park? Email Brendan@AnchorageParkFoundation.org with the date, time, school, grade, location, and topic at least ONE WEEK in advance.
Borrow a book
We have a variety of outdoor learning resources that we’d love to share! Contact Brendan Stuart with your request and she can drop off any of these books at your school for you to borrow for the semester.
- Mapmaking with Children: Sense of Place Education for the Elementary Years
by David Sobel
- Nature Preschools and Forest Kindergartens: The Handbook for Outdoor Learning
by David Sobel
- Sharing Nature with Children by Joseph Cornell
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder
by Richard Louv
- Learning Gardens and Sustainability Education: Bringing Life to Schools and Schools to Life by Dilafruz Williams and Jonathan Brown
ASD Summer Academy Course with Get Outdoors Anchorage
Earn Professional Credit while learning how to access and use the wealth of outdoor spaces and resources Anchorage has to offer to take lessons outside! The past few years we have offered a popular two-day course through the ASD Summer Academy on outdoor learning and education. This hands-on course, taught primarily outdoors, at Campbell Creek, Campbell Creek Estuary, and green spaces on and near Dimond High School, features instructors from agencies and organizations that specialize in outdoor learning in and around Anchorage. Learn more about this summer academy course. Register: www.asdk12.org/pld/asdsummeracademy
Apply for a Challenge Grant
Challenge Grants are an opportunity for funding for larger Schools on Trails projects such as outdoor classrooms and trail access. Challenge Grants encourage community stewardship and partnership to make positive changes in Anchorage’s parks and trails. Recipients of the grant must match the funds with private donations, in-kind services, or volunteer hours. Learn more about past Schools on Trails Challenge Grant projects.
How to apply: www.anchorageparkfoundation.org/programs/challenge-grants
Schools on Trails Maps
Schools on Trails maps highlight the connection between schools in the Anchorage area and their public green spaces. They are designed as a tool for the school, the community and the city, to promote increased access to trails and parks, encourage outdoor learning and environmental education, and improve student health. Please share them! If you would like a map connecting your school to it’s trail, please contact Brendan Stuart.
Find your map: www.anchorageparkfoundation.org/programs/schools-trails/schools-trails-maps
Watershed Maps were created to fit into the 4th grade curriculum as part of the Watershed Education Project with Alaska Sea Grant. They provide a good visual to use with your class when showing where water flows!
Check out the maps here: www.anchorageparkfoundation.org/programs/schools-trails/teacher-resources/watershed-maps
Community Partners with Outdoor Learning Resources, Field Trip Opportunities, and Teacher Trainings
Anchorage is abundant with people, organizations, and agencies that have outdoor learning resources to share with teachers. Check out this list of organizations and their offerings.
Tips for getting your students outdoors
- Create a recurring permission slip for parents to sign at the beginning of the school year for walking field trips to your nearby green spaces. Be specific as to which parks and trails students will be walking to, and get permission from your principal. That way, you only have to get the slips signed once for the whole year.
- Field Trips Fridays! Establish a regular time for walking field trips with your students. Every Friday. Every other Friday. Every 3rd Friday. Parents and students will know what to expect and you will be surprised at how students look forward to these days they know are coming!
- Create a map of the green spaces near your school with your students. This will familiarize them with the spaces and create a sense that they are accessible spaces for outdoor learning.
- Teachers, send us your tips and we will post them here!